Welcome to the Enthral BBS project
Enthral is a fresh look at the old school art of bbsing. It's a fresh face to an old favorite. Although Enthral is still in it's alpha stages, the system is quite stable and is already very feature rich. Currently available for Linux, BSD, and Apple's OS X.
Table of Contents
Some Basic features include (With lots more to come!):
- Forum Style Menu System using TEXT INI files instead of Binary Data files and with Full Lightbars, Optional Random Scrolling Text Commands.
- Matrix Login System
- Language File for Easy Editing of Basic Prompts. With Basic MCI Codes for X/Y, New Line, Clear Screen, And Other Essential ones.
- Full Screen Message Area Listing, with INI Config file for Ansi Layout and Theme Switching with Full Access to a Menu/Menu System for configurable Lightbar Menu Prompts with Hotkeys. Lightbar Menu Prompts with Hotkeys. With the ability To Tag Select all, Clear All, and type tag ranges either by using a range 1-10 or selections 1,2,3,4.. or a mix of the 2 like 1-3,6-7. Typing a line number with toggle selected or deselect a line to quote.
- Themes for Full Screen Interfaces work like msgread.ini, adding themes you would create msgread1.ini 1-unlimited # And the BBS System will read these in and switch to the layout defined in the incremented ini files. All Themes are switchable Instead of the Seperate Full Screen System usually with the [ and ] keys, with the need to edit the Reader and goto any config menu.
- Full PIPE Color Code Support for Foreground and Background colors
- CTRL Keys like CTRL + Y will clear any input line of text to start over fresh.
- Data Areas: A Dynamic System working a bit like a menu system where you program input commands and assign MCI Codes for the Data Fields and setup custom ansi to be parsed and display your data. With the ability to Limit The number of Records for a list like Onelienrs, or to set unlimited and use this to hold Infoform and Application data from the user. Some Features are the ability to Pass MCI Codes with a Users or Systems Current Data so that you can build systems like the following. Oneliners, Last Callers, BBS List, History Stats and much more.
The 450 Build is almost ready. This release will features a slew of rework in message system. The Husky API has been ripped out and replaced with straight JAMLIB. This has taking up the most time in rewriting all the the current routines to now use JAMLIB instead. With this a new title scan has been created to scan through topics. I'm also working on my sysop functionally for BBS maintenance. This is just a small taste. Due to all of the rewrites the current SVN is only up to date with v429, i didn't want to break the SVN with unfinished work. More to Come, Stay Tuned!
The 430 Build Release will be out soon. This will be an interim release to fix several bugs, as well as add some much system and user options such as a new Sysop Menu, User Editor, Updated to the Message Forum Editor, Better separation of a Email/Netmail messages, Real Names added for Fidonet support, Password Encryption for all user and system password, and this will also include the an JAMLIB Message API. The Husky SMAPI has been completely removed after deal with too many issues. Full screen lightbar systems are also being overhauled from redrawing the entire box, to now only redrawing the current and previous lightbar for much faster display, this change as also been rolled over to the user/email lightbar selections along with the new user editor, and a new Email Title Scan system that’s being created.
There is a lot of updates going into the next release, file areas have been started as well but will not be working in the next release yet. Stay Tuned!
You can download the latest alpha source and OS X build from our Downloads section or you can grab the latest code via the svn repo by issuing the following command from a terminal:
Latest Alpha source tree Updated [10/14/2010 Enthral BBS 0.429/Alpha] has been tested in Ubunutu 8.0 & 10.10, Sabayon 5.4, Gentoo 4.1, BSD 6.3. Debian 5x, Fedora 13
Recent fixes with latest new gcc/g++ 4.3+ Compilers for 32 and 64 Bit Systems. No more Segfaults!
svn --username svn co http://svn.enthralbbs.com/source
Run install.pl to install and compile the system. Check for system requirements like wget, automake, and g++ compiler.
$ chmod +x install.pl && ./install.pl
Pre-Alpha Source is still a WIP and not fully functional, a lot of changes include the change from JAM to MySQL is a WIP
You can download the latest pre-alpha source [developmental builds] by issuing the following command from a terminal:
svn --username svn co http://svn.enthralbbs.com/trunk
Installation instructions can be found in the source:trunk/README file
Esc's excellent how-to on setting up dos door games under dosemu can be found in the source:trunk/docs/dosdoors.txt file
If you find any bugs please let us know by opening up a ticket. Please be as descriptive as possible.
There are plenty of ways to get support:
- IRC: #enthral on irc.bbs-scene.org
- Usenet: alt.bbs.enthral
- Scinet: ENTHRAL echo (The official support network of enthral. http://hysteriabbs.com/scinet)
- Fidonet: ENTHRAL echo
- Mailing Lists: http://lists.enthralbbs.com
- BBS: HTC (telnet://htc.enthralbbs.com) or Hysteria (telnet://hysteriabbs.com)